This old story relates to the fact that a busy cobbler will be so busy making shoes for his customers that he has no time to make some for his own children. We decided that we needed a little of our own medicine and upgraded our blog. We recently moved our blog from TypePad to the main site. This has a few advantages, mostly related to SEO. For those of you wondering how a blog helps your search marketing efforts here are a few tips on blog marketing:
- Pick an interesting battle others care about. A blog is not a news feed – it’s a conversation. Express your likes and dislikes in the public forum of your website and let your audience participate in the dialogue. Not every topic can be interesting but there are some topics that deserve more passionate discussion.
- Frequency is your friend. Don’t start a blog unless you intend on getting a regular schedule of postings. Your audience has the equivalent of ADD and will expect your post to provide new insights each week. There are no rules as to how often you should post but three to four times a week is ideal.
- You are not your audience, or are you?. Marketers love to remind their clients that they are not their target audience. I think it’s interestign to be your audience and discuss the things that affect them in an empathetic way. Trying too hard to be a fly on the wall reduces your credibiltiy. Your audience will grow out of shared interests not just interestign topics.
- Create a presonality to go with the story. You can make a stronger connection to your audience by making yourself part of the story. People prefer reading stories from others that are going through similar ups and downs. Share a little background.
- Don’t be an island. You can create additional interest in your blog by pointing to other blogs discussing the same topics you are. The web works best when you participate in the network effect.