If you are a novice to the art of tweeting then here’s a little lesson on how to get started and create your first twitter campaign:
- The first step is to create an account on twitter itself. All you need is an email address and a password. If you are setting up the account for a business or a brand name then you’ll need to use the name of the company or product as the username.
- Once you have an account with twitter the best thing to do is upload your email list (via gmail, MSN, Yahoo or Outlook) to the account.
- The contact upload tool will list all the people in your contact list with twitter accounts. There is an option to select the people you want to start following.
- In most cases, once you friends see you have an account they will then start following you.
Your followers will be the people reading your tweets, or posts and, in time, you build up an audience that reads your tweets.
- Tweets generally consist of a combination of general news about your activities around the organizing of the event, like "had lunch with Joe Soap today. His new web application is going to rock" and specific requests, like "looking for a photographer in the San Diego area, anyone got suggestions?" You embed links back to the sites you want to drive traffic to or to interesting content.
If you’re linking traffic to a site or a blog, remember to install Google Analytics so you can track the incoming traffic and monitor how many visitors you get from your twitter account.