Apprentice in UX Design (AUX)
Come get Bloody Brilliant with us
The AUX program presents a spectacular, invaluable career and learning opportunity. The irreplaceable secret ingredient is the chance to simply share a space with consummate professionals and experts at their craft.
We amplify design talent
The Fresh Tilled Soil Apprenticeship in UX turns promising designers and developers into all-round web and mobile product experts through intense, structured learning, individual mentorship and real-world experience.
Potential Apprentices are early-career web professionals who aspire to be leaders in the field and to put a dent in the universe by building beautiful, engaging web and mobile products. Apprentices join our studio for 16 weeks full-time for an immersive learning experience.
If you cannot make a full-time commitment, or feel you need more experience before considering AUX, we recommend you check out the training courses and workshops we offer through Fresh Tilled Soil Labs.
Frequently asked questions
- What level of experience is required to apply to AUX?
- While there are no formal pre-requisites, most of our apprentices have completed at least a few years in the professional world. Our admission decisions are based entirely on your portfolio, statement of interest, and interview—so if you think you measure up, go ahead and apply.
- What is the acceptance rate for the program?
- Over two sessions, AUX has gone from a 50% acceptance rate to 20%, and is likely to become even more selective in the future. All the more reason to put your best foot forward on the application!
- What does the apprenticeship pay?
- Apprentices receive a stipend of $500 per week to help with living expenses during the program.
- How do you guys make money?
- The apprenticeship program is not designed to turn a profit. It exists to support and supplement our leadership in transforming product design education. Apprentices act as teaching assistants for our workshops, and will occasionally be used as guinea pigs for new and advanced content. Apprentices also help bring new and creative perspectives to our project work, allowing us to reliably deliver innovative and spectacular results.
- What happens after AUX?
- Joining AUX gives you access to our personal and professional networks, and we will support you in your post-apprenticeship job search. We love being able to provide our clients and partners with great product talent.
What you’ll learn
Some topics we’ll cover:
- Design professionalism
- Workflow and process
- Crafting engaging experiences
- User needs discovery
- Progressive enhancement
- Universal accessibility
- Web performance
- Mobile and cross-context design
- Applied color theory
- Typography and grids
As an Apprentice at Fresh Tilled Soil, you’ll work alongside our talented designers and developers who will push you way out of your comfort zone. This 16-week, full-time, intensive program is made up of two parts: real-world client work and weekly design and development challenges. You will also be paid a stipend during your time with us.
- First you will be thrown into a two week, paid bootcamp where the most important design, UX, and development principles will be drilled in. At the end of the two weeks you’ll be partenered with a mentor based on your skill-set and goals.
- Real-world projects give you maximum exposure to the latest tools and techniques in web product design. The apprentices work together to create bloody brilliant web and mobile applications for us and our clients.
- Each week there will be new readings and challenges based on design trends, best practices, and development skills. These challenges are designed, presented, and judged by senior members of the Fresh Tilled Soil team.
How to apply
Once you’ve determined that AUX is the right fit for you on your journey to become a web and mobile product expert, there are a few steps we’d like you to take in order to be considered for the program. This application is due by April 30th.
- First, please provide a link to an online portfolio or code repository that demonstrates your best design and/or front-end development output.
- Next, we request that you create a statement of interest in the form of a uniquely designed page that demonstrates your creativity and ability, and shows us why you are the best choice for our next AUX class (June 3rd to September 20th 2013).
- That’s it! We will begin contacting applicants in April to invite you to interview at our office. Sit tight until then.