The AUX program presents a spectacular, invaluable career and learning opportunity. The irreplaceable secret ingredient is the chance to simply share a space with consummate professionals and experts at their craft. — Tim Croteau, AUX Fall 2012
Apply to the AUX program The Fresh Tilled Soil Apprenticeship in UX (AUX) turns promising designers and developers into web and mobile product experts through intense, structured learning, individual mentorship, and real-world experience. Potential apprentices are early career web professionals who aspire to be leaders in the field and to put a dent in the universe by building beautiful, engaging web and mobile products. Apprentices join our studio full time for 13 weeks for an immersive learning experience.
What you’ll learn
Some topics we cover:
- Design professionalism
- Workflow and process
- Crafting engaging experiences
- User needs discovery
- Progressive enhancement
- Universal accessibility
- Web performance
- Mobile and cross-context design
- Applied color theory
- Typography and grids
As an apprentice at Fresh Tilled Soil, you’ll work alongside our talented designers and developers who will push you way out of your comfort zone. This 13-week, full-time, intensive program is made up of two parts: real-world client work and weekly design and development challenges. You will also be paid a stipend during your time with us.
- First you will be thrown into a two-week, paid bootcamp where the most important design, UX, and development principles will be drilled in. At the end of the two weeks you’ll be partnered with a mentor based on your skill set and goals.
- Real-world projects give you maximum exposure to the latest tools and techniques in web product design. The apprentices work together to create bloody brilliant web and mobile applications for us and our clients.
- Each week there will be new readings and challenges based on design trends, best practices, and development skills. These challenges are designed, presented, and judged by senior members of the Fresh Tilled Soil team.
Frequently asked questions
What level of experience is required to apply to AUX?
While there are no formal pre-requisites, most of our apprentices have completed at least a few years in the professional world. Our admission decisions are based entirely on your portfolio, statement of interest, and interview—so if you think you measure up, go ahead and apply.
What does the apprenticeship pay?
Apprentices receive a stipend of $100 per day to help with living expenses during the program.
What happens after AUX?
Joining AUX gives you access to our personal and professional networks, and we will support you in your post-apprenticeship job search. We love being able to provide our clients and partners with great product talent.
How to apply
Once you’ve determined that AUX is the right fit for you on your journey to become a web and mobile product expert, there are a few steps we’d like you to take in order to be considered for the program. Applications for AUX Winter 2015 are due on December 1st, 2014.
- First, please provide a link to an online portfolio or code repository that demonstrates your best design and/or front-end development output.
- Next, we request that you create a statement of interest in the form of a uniquely designed page that demonstrates your creativity and ability and shows us why you are the best choice for our next AUX class (January to April, 2015 — exact dates TBD).
- That’s it! We will begin contacting applicants in December to invite you to interview at our office. Sit tight until then.